WE’LL FIGHT FOR YOU
John L. Olson Kailua,
Kona, and Kamuela Lawyer
Founder of Olson & Sons
John L. Olson – Founder of Olson & Sons
John L. Olson is an attorney who handles a wide variety of matters from litigation (civil, probate, trust disputes); advising businesses in day to day matters, including contracts and management; transactional work for individuals and business; criminal defense; to Estate Planning in Kona and Kamuela. As a sole practioner he gained a width breadth of knowledge to assist his clients in just about anything.
Schedule a Consultation
To schedule a consultation with an attorney call Olson & Sons today.
Hawaii Business & Litigation Claim
He was born and raised on the Island of O`ahu, and moved to Kona in 1973 with his wife. There, they raised two sons: Robert and Peter Olson, both of whom are attorneys. John started practicing in Kona in 1973 with local attorney Richard Ishida.
In 1975, John joined the Office of the Public Defender in Hilo, where he became the supervising Deputy for the Big Island until he opened his own private practice in Kona in 1978. John’s office was located at the Kailua Ranch Center for 34 years before renaming the firm and moving to our current location. John is the Co-Founder of the West Hawai`i Bar Association. He is a former Per Diem Judge of the District and Family Court.
John is an avid writer and outdoors man, and his favorite activity is outrigger canoe paddling and canoe surfing. The Olson family can be seen canoe surfing at Ke`ei, and when the waves are big, at Kapahukapu (“Manini Point”) in Kailua Bay. John is always happy to share tales of his adventures in his beloved canoe, the Ilio Kai, whether it be catching big waves, paddling around Hawai`i Island in 1993, or crossing the `Alenuihaha Channel to Hana, Maui in 2006.
As much as John is a waterman, he takes pride in his robust and successful law practice which he has built over the past 40 years.
Please call 808-331-3113 in Kona or 808-885-8533 in Kamuela (Waimea) for an appointment.
- Member of Hawai`i Bar since 1973
- Private practice from 1978 to present. Emphasis – litigation.
- Deputy Public Defender 1975 – 1978. Deputy in charge, Hawai`i Island.
- Per Diem Family and District Court Judge 1979 (3rd Circuit)
- Served as Commissioner for Judges Ernest Kubota, Shunichi Kimura, Benjamin Menor, Paul de Silva, Ronald Ibarra, James Wakatsuki and Elizabeth Strance.
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., Symposium Editor of Law Review 1973, Student Bar Association Board of Governors – Special Service Certificate
- University of Hawai`i at Manoa, B.A., 1969 (Sociology)
- United States Naval Academy 1964-1967
- United States Marine Corps 1962-67
- Punahou School 1962
- Symposium: Criminal Discovery, 7 USF L. Rev. (Vol. 2, 1973) – Symposium Editor
- L.M. Smith, Reversible Error in First Degree Murder Convictions: The Modesto Rule Re-Examined, 7 USF L. Rev. 1, 1972 – (assisted author)
- Escape: The Defenses of Duress & Necessity, 6 USF L. Rev. 430 (1972)
- Past President and Co-Founder West Hawai`i Bar Association
- Past President: (1)Konawaena Elementary School PTA, (2) Hawai`i Preparatory Academy Boosters Club, (3) Keoua Canoe Club
- Past Director FSSWHA (Family Support Services of West Hawai`i)