WE’LL FIGHT FOR YOU
Peter S.R. Olson
Lawyer | Director of Olson & Sons
Peter S.R. Olson, Esq., Kailua, Kona, Kamuela (Waimea) Lawyer
Peter S.R. Olson is an attorney who handles a wide variety of matters, including: litigation (civil, family, and criminal), transactional, and business formation/advisement in Kona and Kamuela.
He was born and raised in South Kona on the Big Island of Hawai`i. He is the son of John L. Olson, founder of the firm. Peter has assisted his father at the firm since he was five years old.
Schedule a Consultation
To schedule a consultation with an attorney call Olson & Sons today.
Your Hawaii Business & Litigation Claim
Peter received his Juris Doctor and Environmental Law Certificate from Univerisity of Hawai`i at Manoa’s William S. Richardson School of Law in 2005. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Glenn S. Hara in the Third Circuit Court in Hilo.
Thereafter, Peter became a Deputy Public Defender for the State of Hawai`i. Peter has participated in 100s of Bench Trials and numerous Jury Trials with success.
He has been an avid outrigger canoe paddler since he was five years old. Mr. Olson’s passion is paddling his one person outrigger canoe (OC1) down-wind in Hawai`i’s channels. Mr. Olson is a veteran paddler of the `Alenuihaha (Hawai`i to Maui), Pailolo (Maui to Moloka`i), and Kaiwi (Moloka`i to O`ahu) channels. Peter S.R. Olson is also a life-long student of Hawaiian History, Language, and Environment.
- Member of Hawai`i Bar since 2005
- Deputy Public Defender on O`ahu, Honolulu 2007 – 2010. Mr. Olson practiced in the Appellate, District, and Family Courts of the State of Hawai`i. Extensive experience in Non-Jury Bench Trials and Jury Trials.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Glenn S. Hara (3rd Circuit Court) 2005-2007.
In addition to numerous trial court victories, as the trial attorney and/or appellate counsel, Peter S.R. Olson has successfully preserved the record and appellate issues in the following cases resulting in a favorable outcome at the appellate level:
- Mosher v. Gama, 2019 WL 4547070, (Haw. Ct. App. Sept. 19, 2019) – Successfully argued that appeal was moot in possession action where appeal was not from judgment for possession, but rather writ of possession which had expired on its own terms.
- Keauhou Canoe Club v. Dep’t of Land & Nat. Res., 144 Haw. 63, 434 P.3d 1258 (Ct. App. 2019) – The appellate court upheld the award of Olson’s attorneys’ fees pursuant to the Private Attorney General Doctrine wherein the underlying lawsuit successfully forced the DLNR to conduct an Environmental Assessment pursuant to HRS Chapter 343.
- State v. Tominiko, 126 Hawai`i 68 (2011) – Hawai`i Supreme Court opinion vacating Defendant’s conviction in regards to a Motion to Suppress which should have been granted at the trial court level
- State v. Delos Santos, 124 Hawai`i 130 (2010) – Hawai`i Supreme Court opinion vacating Defendant’s conviction at jury trial based upon inadmissible hearsay.
- State v. Ebueng, 122 Hawai`i 202 (2010) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Giron, 122 Hawai`i 202 (2010) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Yoshioka, 2010 Haw. App. LEXIS 315 (2010) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Ko, 121 Hawai`i 202 (2009) – Hawai`i Intermediate Court of Appeals (“ICA”) Summary Disposition Order (“SDO”) reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Pow, 121 Hawai`i 259 (2009) -ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Marcello, 121 Hawai`i 259 (2009) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Livesey, 121 Hawai`i 472 (2009) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Acevedo, 2009 Haw. App. LEXIS 726 (2009) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- State v. Abt, 2009 Haw. App. LEXIS 791 (2009) – ICA SDO reversing Defendant’s conviction.
- University of Hawai`i at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of Law, Juris Doctor and Certificate in Environmental Law 2005
- University of Hawai`i at Manoa, B.A., 2001 Hawaiian Studies (Concentration in the Natural Environment), Graduated with Distinction
- Hawai`i Preparatory Academy 1991-1997, College Preparatory Diploma
- Konawaena Elementary 1984-1991
- President of the West Hawaii Bar Association (2016)
- Vice President of the West Hawaii Bar Association(2015)
- Corresponding Secretary of the West Hawaii Bar Association
- Paddled canoes competitively for the past 25 years.
- Played Football, Wrestled, and ran Track at Hawai`i Preparatory Academy.
- Member of the Kona Historical Society.
- Athletic Director of Keauhou Canoe Club.
Please call 808-331-3113 in Kona or 808-885-8533 in Kamuela (Waimea) for an appointment.