Including Hawaii, every state considers driving under influence, or DUI, a criminal offense. In Hawaii, the authorities charge you with DUI if you were in physical control of the vehicle or driving while having a blood alcohol content of .08% or more, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If convicted, you will face enormous fines and suspension of license in addition to community service. In some cases, the judge may also order jail time instead of community service. The penalties and fines will vary from case to case, making it necessary to consult Kona DUI attorneys as soon as possible.
1. Does Hiring a DUI Attorney Make a Difference in Kona?
Most people think that they can self-represent in a DUI case. However, this is a risky move since you don’t have as much legal knowledge and courtroom experience as Kona DUI attorneys do. An experienced lawyer can help you stay out of jail, reduce your fines, and may even prevent your license suspension.
Hiring professional Kona DUI attorneys is crucial for the following reasons:
- As mentioned, DUI is a serious offense. For example, a habitual DUI is a class C felony in Hawaii. In such a case, it is critical to have competent Kona DUI attorneys on your side.
- If convicted of a DUI, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will suspend your license for one year for your first offense. The DUI will stay on your criminal record for five years. So, if you are convicted of another DUI during this period, you could face severe consequences, including license suspension, higher fines, and even jail time.
- You can apply only for an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) permit. However, you will need to be 18 years or older to apply for this permit.
- A DUI conviction can also cause problems in finding stable employment. Most employers run a thorough background check before hiring someone. Your DUI can be a potential red flag in many situations.
- Upon a DUI conviction or license suspension, you will have to pay higher car insurance costs. Sometimes, it may also be challenging to get insurance, especially for commercial driving.
2. How Can Kona DUI Attorneys Help You?
When it comes to DUI in Hawaii, there are two different processes: the Administrative Driver’s License Revocation Office (ADLRO) and the criminal court case.
A. How Kona DUI Attorneys Can Help in ADLRO
The ADLRO process involves administrative revocation of driving licenses. This office conducts reviews and hearings, and issues ignition interlock permits and ignition interlock permits, among other things. Professional Kona DUI attorneys can help you with the ADLRO license revocation proceedings. They can:
- Help you with the administrative process, including filing paperwork, including subpoenaing witnesses
- Speed up the process for getting an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) permit as quickly as possible
- Provide you with the right legal advice to help you make an informed decision during the process
- Help you present your case in the best possible way during the reviews or hearings
B. How Kona DUI Attorneys Can Help in Court Proceedings
The criminal court case will take place in the criminal court. Both state district courts and federal courts will handle DUI cases, depending on the circumstances of your arrest. Hiring Kona DUI attorneys can help you significantly, irrespective of whether you intend to fight the charges or plead guilty. The Kona DUI attorneys will:
- Represent you in court in the best way possible
- Take care of all the paperwork and file it on time
- Investigate the evidence against you independently and also obtain your police reports
- Make sure to protect your rights as a US citizen
- Negotiate on your behalf to help you get the best possible plea deal
3. How Much Will Competent Kona DUI Attorneys Cost?
When hiring Kona DUI attorneys, the foremost concern, for most people, is the cost because the general perception is that lawyers cost a ton of money. However, not all lawyers will charge you a lot of money. Also, not allKona DUI attorneyswill do a good job just because they charge a lot.
Make sure to hire a lawyer with an excellent track record, not based on how much they charge. The right attorney can help you reduce your penalties, avoid license suspension, and may even keep the DUI from appearing on your criminal record. As this will ensure a better future for you and your family, hiring Kona DUI attorneys is a small price to pay.
Furthermore, hiring a personal injury lawyer or a family lawyer to handle your DUI case is not a good idea. The fate of your DUI depends on the specifics of your case. If you hire a lawyer without any prior DUI case experience, you are more likely to lose. That’s why you need experienced and skilled Kona DUI attorneys only.
As you can see, a DUI is not an offense you can take lightly. You could end up paying large fines and even face jail time. To increase the chances of achieving a more favorable outcome and safeguarding your future, you need to find a competent DUI lawyer. Hopefully, understanding how a DUI attorney can help you will encourage you to hire one as quickly as possible.
Talk to Our Experienced Kona DUI Attorneys Today!
If you want to represent your DUI case in the best possible way in Hawaii, Olson & Sons is the right choice for you. Our experienced, skilled, and professional team of lawyers will help you protect your rights. You can reach our Kona office at 808-331-3113 or schedule a consultation via our website.